2007-03-14

I'm a coffee drinker. I don't smoke, drink (much!) or gamble, so you could say that coffee and computers are my vices. Even better, the two aren't simultaneously mutually exclusive!

Breakfast isn't breakfast without coffee. Being a convenience junkie, I grab a coffee and a doughtnut or breakfast sandwich from Timmy's on my way to work. According to the Roll Up The Rim To Win website, this "contest" runs from February 26th while cup supplies last. The odds are apparently 1-in-9 (one in nine) of winning. Of course, that's 1-in-9 of winning something, be it a free coffee, doughnut, muffin, iPod, plasma TV or car. The odds of 1:9 are published in the "'Contest' Rules & Regulations" .PDF file on the website, which states: "the overall approximate odds across North America of being eligible to win one of the Thirty (30) 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid B Packages are one (1) in 9,007,900; the overall approximate odds of being eligible to win one of the One Hundred (100) Panasonic 42" Plasma Televisions are one (1) in 2,702,370; the overall approximate odds of being eligible to win one (1) of Five Hundred (500) cash prizes of $1,000.00 are one in 540,474; the overall approximate odds of being eligible to win one of Ten Thousand (10,000) Apple iPod nano digital music players are one (1) in 27,024; the overall approximate odds of being eligible to win a food prize are one (1) in 9. In the U.S.A., the estimated odds of being eligible to win the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid B Package are one (1) in 11,359,000. NOTE: The odds of obtaining an eligible "winning" RIM TAB will vary by region based on cup distribution outlined above and will change throughout the contest as specially marked contest cups are distributed and sold in each Region. The total number of prizes available to be won will decrease throughout the contest as contest cups are distributed and prizes are claimed."

So, there you have it, in black and white. There is also a table of regions, showing that region 3 (Ontario) has a larger allocation of winning cups - most probably because Ontario is the most populous province.

Now, consider the following:

(1) I live in Ontario.
(2) I work 5 days a week, although it seems like more sometimes. Anyway, the point is, I don't generally buy a Tim Hortons coffee on the weekends.
(3) There are 13 (thirteen) working days between February 26th and March 14th inclusive.
(4) Between the coffee I buy for myself and for colleagues (who reciprocally buy me one) I have averaged between 2 and 3 coffees (medium to x-large sizes, no smalls) per working day. Let's be generous and say 2.5, no rounding up.
(5) That means that I have consumed at least 33 coffees since the "contest" began.
(6) As of March 14th, I have won: no coffees, no doughnuts, no muffins, no iPods (wouldn't want an i$hit anyway, but that's not the point) or plasma TV's or cars.

So, Tim Hortons, your Roll Up The Rim To Win "contest" is a crock. Seems the "rim" refers to something else, not a coffee cup.

Related link here.

3 comments:

SeanC said...

I live in the US not too far from Ontario. I have also bought around 30 coffees and have won absolutely nothing. I'm considering calling the attorney general.

SeanC said...

I meant to say in my last comment that if the odds of winning are 1:9, then the odds of losing 30 times in a row are about 1:33.

Drink Milk said...

I have won a disproportionate amount of coffees and doughnuts this year, howvever, I didn't win anything last year. I also consume a similar amount of coffees as you. I think it evens out in the long run.